Graphic Novel Residency at the Maison des Auteurs 2016-2017
AC/E and the Cité internationale de la bande dessinée et de l’image, with the collaboration of the Institut Français in Spain, is organising a four-month residency for a Spanish graphic novel author in Angoulême (to be enjoyed between December 2016 and March 2017).
The closing date for submitting entries is 8 May 2016.
The aim of the residency is to promote creation specifically in the field of graphic novels. For this purpose it facilitates the completion of a project chosen for its artistic values and innovative nature in this field. The chosen candidate will enjoy a residency at the Maison des Auteurs in Angoulême (France). The Maison is part of the Cité internationale de la bande dessinée et de l’image (International city of comic books and image), which features a comic book museum, library, specialised bookshops and cinema, among other services, together with the Festival International de la bande dessinée, making Angoulême the European capital of graphic novels.
The residency for the chosen candidate includes
- Accommodation in a 3-room apartment to be shared with another resident (two bedrooms) in the centre of Angoulême (electricity, gas and water to be paid by the candidate).
- Use of a workshop (individual or collective) equipped with material for graphic creation at the Maison des Auteurs in Angoulême.
- 1,000 euros per month to cover upkeep, local transport expenses, and water, gas and electricity consumption. Any expenditure on materials or shipment of works will be borne by the selected authors.
- Return train or plane ticket in economy class from their place of residence in Spain to Paris, and a return train ticket from Paris to Angoulême.
From December 2016 to the end of March 2017. Under no circumstances can the stay be split.
Application / Requirements
To be considered for the residency award, candidates must submit:
>Application form properly filled in
- A project for a graphic novel, in narrative form, with an approximate timeframe for its completion.
- A description of the project they are going to work on during the residency: a text of 10,000 characters at most, accompanied by drawings, sketches and designs and three complete consecutive pages of the project (dossier to be submitted in computerised form).
- A curriculum vitae, to which some of their most representative works should be annexed.
- A cover letter.
- A sworn statement that the candidate is the sole author of the works submitted.
- Be aged over 18 and not have previously benefited from a residency at the Maison des Auteurs in Angoulême.
- Be of Spanish nationality or hold a NIE (Identification number for foreigners) issued by the Spanish Ministry of the Interior.
- Submit proof they hold a European health card or medical insurance covering any possible medical needs that may arise during the residency period
AC/E’s advisory committee in Spain will shortlist a number of candidates. At the second stage, the jury of La Maison des Auteurs in Angoulême will select the final candidate and formalise the residency conditions directly with the chosen candidate. The jury who make the selection will be made up of prestigious graphic artists, screenwriters and critics and their decision will be final.
The results will be announced on AC/E’s website by 15 July 2016. No results will be communicated over the telephone.
Deadline for registrations 08/05/2016
No dossiers will be accepted after this date.
Information and contact
In AC/E, Spain: Ainhoa Sánchez
firstname.lastname@example.org / www.accioncultural.es
At the Maison des auteurs, Angoulême, France: Pili Muñoz
email@example.com / www.citebd.org